306mm cav brakes

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
sparzzy

306mm cav brakes

Post by sparzzy »

finally got round to putting some big brakes on my gsi. first got set of v6/turbo calipers of ebay. next new set of v6 pads from vauxhall trade club then got a set of nearly new FIAT COUPE 306MM DISC. been told about this so wanted to try it. fiat disc are 4 stud 306mm with studs at 98mm centers. first job stuck them on pillar drill and drilled out the existing holes to 16mm so wheel bolts cleared them . the dics have two holes to secure them to hub they line up on one hole and all i did was use 1 hole and counter sunk it. and to line it up over hub before i tightened the screw i used a medium cable tie to fill around the hub and was packed in around hub.test drive and i will now drill out the hub using the 2nd hole and tap in another screw. no vibration ,no wobble when braking and disc are same thickness to v6. best thing is cost .
used v6 calipers £15
near new fiat coupe discs £18
new gm v6 pads trade club £13.95
14mm hss drill bit £12 total £58.95
big difference in stopping now they have beded in. without making it unsettled at rear. next time i will get new fiat discs.
DRIVES 1990 CAV GSI also CARLTON GSI ,1960 thames pick up truck and works trucks and vans.
Gaz

Re: 306mm cav brakes

Post by Gaz »

Big brakes are def worth doing, i was looking at brake master cylinder the other week and the late vectra b one seems to be the same fitment as the cav one, still trying to find out if it actually moves more fluid (i suspect it does due to the vectra having bigger disks as standard), but the early vectra one isnt the same.

Nice work tim.
sparzzy

Post by sparzzy »

forgot to say u need 16" wheels as 15" are mm from calipers and if you got 15" you will have to get wheel weights moved as calipers will foul them. will do my sons gte next but with new fiat discs but he still got gte 14" wheels.
DRIVES 1990 CAV GSI also CARLTON GSI ,1960 thames pick up truck and works trucks and vans.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Hey Tim. I read somewhere that the ~Fait discs are not as think as the Vauxhall discs and hence dont last as long. not sure if this is the case or not. How did you get the v6 caliper to fit?
C30XE
sparzzy

Post by sparzzy »

I HAD A NEW SET OF VECTRA GSI 308MM IN STOCK FOR MY WIFES GSI. THE FIAT ONES WHERE SAME BUT 2MM SMALLER AND ONLY SLIGHTLY THINNER AS THEY WERE USED. THE V6 VECCY CALIPERS WENT STRAIGHT ON TO THE STRUT . A GUY FROM VXLSCC WHO IS A TEC 2 VAUX MECHANIC DONE IT TO HIS CORSA REDTOP.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Sparzzy do you know if Fiat do 306mm discs of the same dimensions but equal to a cav 5 stud fitment?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
sparzzy

Post by sparzzy »

Squig wrote:Sparzzy do you know if Fiat do 306mm discs of the same dimensions but equal to a cav 5 stud fitment?
as far as i know 5 stud are 330mm late models. stud diameter not same as gm.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Damn... could redrill I guess. are the 4/5 stud hubs the same diameter?

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
lem0nmonkey

Post by lem0nmonkey »

the v6 calipers you got? what model v6, calibra vectra etc etc, cause to fit 308mm vectra gsi discs to a turbo apparently you need to buy the bigger caliper carriers, which lmf sell for £200, unless you can find a set of second hand ones or from a saab, its intersting that you got some 306mm discs to fit with what look like standered cavalier turbo calipers, unless the attachment to the strut is different on the 4stud hub, cant see why it would be though!!
Squig

Post by Squig »

sprazzy can you tell me what the hub diameter is on the fiat coupe 20v turbo?